Sunday, September 26, 2010

Moving on...

This will be the last time I talk about this subject… too much time and energy has been devoted to this matter already, but I would like to put it to rest peacefully.

I knew when I decided to offer the doll making kits it was a possibility that someone might dissect the materials in an effort to gain insight into how I do it. Written disclaimers, licensing agreements, non-compete agreements and copyrights on artistic creations are tricky things, as is intellectual property. I have said in the past that the basic patterns for Waldorf dolls can be easily obtained in books and on the internet. There will be many more doll makers in the future who will also use the same basic patterns and concepts. The originality in Waldorf dolls lies in how the concepts are put together.   I make no specific claim to any of the basic concepts or patterns, just my brand and what it has come to be known for.

I have been contacted by the other doll maker and she has stated that the pattern is her own; she said she has been making dolls for years. I believe in taking people at their word, even when appearances may indicate otherwise. I believe that she honestly did not realize that it might look bad on her part and give the wrong idea to buy a kit then decide to make very similar dolls to sell.

I had received many, many emails about the other dolls before I wrote my original post and was hoping to avoid any controversy, which is why I will not name the other company.  I bear no ill-will; I can only hope that all other doll makers continue to come up with their own looks and concepts that they can be proud of. There is plenty of room for all individuals :)   XOXO Debra

7 comments:

  1. You are a truly lovely person, Debra <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with leaslooks....You are truly lovely and I feel so lucky to have an AppleTreeHouse doll! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree also :) ... and have to add kind and generous to the mix as well :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know... I cannot imagine how you feel about this, but I'd pretty pissed. Whoever the other doll-maker is (though it ain't hard to notice) this situation shouldn't have occurred in the first place. All known doll-makers try to create their own unique style, to open our eyes to a new fresh face. This is what people should be doing. Creating, inventing, inspiring, going out of their way - like you do. We love you. Thank you for doing such a beautiful thing (job doesn't sound right)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting two of your dolls for a long time. I can tell you that I have seen lots of other dolls, but none hold a candle to yours. I will just wait, my girls maybe grown. I will keep it for myself. Its the same way with embroidery files. You would think that no one would claim your work as their own but the do. It's a lack of morals or just plain old greed.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I know it's discouraging. Thanks for being the bigger person. You'll get your reward someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops, that last post was supposed to be from me, not my husband! I forgot to see who's account was logged in.

    ReplyDelete